Effective Date: January 2021
The NielsenIQ group of companies (“NielsenIQ,” “we,” or “us”) cares about your privacy and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose your information. This Privacy Statement covers the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data collected in relation to NielsenIQ’s marketing practices. This Marketing Privacy Statement (this “Privacy Statement”) also describes your legal rights with respect to such information.
Please note that NielsenIQ products and services are subject to their own privacy statements. We encourage you to review those privacy statements to understand how and when NielsenIQ products and services collect, use, and disclose data.
More information about the NielsenIQ group of companies can be found here.
We collect or otherwise obtain information relating to you in a variety of ways. Such information may include personal data, i.e., information that alone or in combination with other information identifies or can be reasonably linked to you as an individual.
The information we may gather about you includes:
Information you provide. We may ask you to provide, or you may choose to provide, information such as (but not limited to) your name, email address, phone number, professional information (e.g., industry, company, and job title), demographic information, and geographic location. Such information may be provided to us at various times, including:
- When you register for or attend NielsenIQ-hosted or sponsored events, such as webinars, conferences, and seminars;
- When you request copies of NielsenIQ reports or publications; and
- When you request information about or receive products and services from NielsenIQ.
Information collected when you engage with NielsenIQ electronically/online. NielsenIQ may also collect information about you via:
- E-mail or newsletter subscriptions: NielsenIQ’s marketing emails to our business contacts may use pixel tags, web beacons, and/or HTML-formatted email messages that track and report back to NielsenIQ the actions recipients take in response to our emails (e.g., whether a message has been opened, read, or deleted).
- Website or social media activity: NielsenIQ may, through various tools and technologies, collect information about you when you follow, post comments on, or otherwise interact with us on NielsenIQ.com, NielsenIQ’s social media channels, or NielsenIQ’s advertising or marketing posts on other websites or platforms.
Please note that social media sites or webinar/video platforms hosted by a third party other than NielsenIQ may also collect information about you. You should review those third parties’ privacy statements to understand how and when they will collect and use your data. A copy of NielsenIQ’s website privacy statement may be found here.
Information Collected From Other Sources. In addition to the data collection described above, we may also obtain personal data from third parties that have a relationship with you (e.g., your employer, professional networking sites), as well as third parties which may not (e.g., data brokers), and from publicly available sources. We may combine the information that we collect (as described above) with information from these additional sources. We will use the information only for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
Information We Do Not Seek. We generally do not seek information that may be considered “special” or “sensitive” personal data (e.g., government-issued identification numbers or information related to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other beliefs, health, criminal background, or trade union membership) for marketing purposes, and we ask that you do not provide such information.
To Fulfill Your Requests: As described above, NielsenIQ will use your information to respond to your communications or inquiries, to provide information or publications you request, to interact with you on social media, and to register you for NielsenIQ events.
Marketing of NielsenIQ Services: NielsenIQ does not provide services directly to the general public, but rather provides its services to other companies, institutions, and government agencies. Accordingly, we may use your data to market our services to you, as an employee of an existing client or prospective client entity, including to provide you with promotional materials or offers for products and services from NielsenIQ (including communications based on your interests, personal and business characteristics, and location), or send you other communications about NielsenIQ’s business and events.
NielsenIQ may send marketing-related communications to individuals who have requested them, or individuals in key roles at current or prospective clients who we believe may be interested in NielsenIQ’s services. We may provide these communications and offers in various ways, including via email, postal mail, social media platforms, and text or direct messages.
Recruitment of panelists and survey respondents: NielsenIQ recruits panelists and survey respondents for participation in our market research through a variety of means, including online advertising, direct mail, and phone calls. We identify potential respondents or panelists in a variety of ways, depending on the specific research initiative or country in which we are operating.
These include random-digit dialing, contacting every household in a specific postal code, and purchasing lists of phone numbers or addresses of households potentially matching the demographics we need from a third-party. If you do not wish to be contacted by phone in connection with our research, please ask to be added to our “Do-Not-Call” list (see “Exercising Your Rights and Choices” below). You may also disregard our direct mail or online advertisements.
In addition to the purposes above, we may also use your information:
- for our internal business purposes, such as corporate transactions, audits, data analysis, to conduct research and analytics about your use and interaction with us, develop new products, improve existing products or services, identify trends, assess the performance of our advertisements and marketing, optimize our advertising and marketing campaigns, and determine the effectiveness of our communications;
- protect the rights, safety, property, or operations of NielsenIQ or our affiliates, you, or others; and
- comply with applicable law and respond to requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We will not use your personal data to advertise, promote, or market third-party goods or services to you. We do not sell any personal data received for the purpose of marketing communications to third parties for their own commercial use.
Basis for processing personal data
Applicable law in certain countries requires us to set out in this Privacy Statement the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process personal data.
Consent: We may rely on the consent that you provide us at the point of collection of your personal data to use such information for the purposes outlined herein. For example, you may have agreed to receive marketing materials such as our electronic newsletters.
Legitimate interests: We may rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data, provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, we may process your personal data in reliance on a legitimate interest in the effective and lawful operation of our businesses, maintenance of our client relationships, continued relevancy of client and prospective communications, and the effective delivery of information and services to you. We may have other legitimate interests and, if so, we will make clear what those interests are at the relevant point in time.
Compliance with legal obligations: We may process your personal data if necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation arising under an applicable law to which we are subject.
Disclosures of personal data
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined in the “Data Use” section above, we may disclose your information to:
- other entities within the NielsenIQ group of companies;
- social media platforms, for our advertising and marketing purposes;
- third parties that provide services to us, such as, but not limited to, website or system hosting, management, and support; data back-up; data analysis; security and storage services; IT infrastructure services; customer service; and email delivery services;
- relevant third parties as part of corporate transactions, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding);
- competent governmental and public authorities, in each case to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests; and
- other third parties as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to enforce our terms and conditions; (d) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (e) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or those of our affiliates, you, or others; and (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
All of these disclosures may result in the transfer of your information to countries or regions with data protection laws that differ from those in your country of residence. By providing us with your information, as described in this Privacy Statement, you are acknowledging that your information may be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence.
In cases where your information is transferred outside of your country of residence, we take steps to ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place to protect your personal data. If you are based in the EU/EEA, such safeguards may include a data transfer agreement with the information recipient based on standard contractual clauses, or such other mechanism as is approved by the European Commission for transfers of personal data to third countries.
Third-party Sites and Platforms
As noted above, we may obtain information about you directly or indirectly via third-party websites, such as social networking sites; online publications; or through your registration for events. This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy practices of any third parties.
Any websites or platforms (e.g., social media websites and apps) hosted by a third party other than NielsenIQ may also collect information about you, and the processing of your information by these third parties is governed by their privacy statements. Therefore, we encourage you to review the privacy statements offered by any websites or platforms you utilize.
We make use of reasonable technical and organizational security measures and safeguards that are designed to help protect the data that we collect, use, and retain. However, please note that no security measures are perfect, and there can be no absolute assurance of security.
Exercising Your Rights and Choices
You have choices about how your personal data is handled, and we are committed to providing you with reasonable access to your personal data and the ability to review and limit the use of such information in accordance with applicable law.
If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from NielsenIQ, you can click on the “unsubscribe” link available in each such email message or contact us and ask to be removed from our email marketing database. Please note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages as part of your ongoing use of our products and/or services.
Depending on your country (or U.S. state) of residence, you may also have the right to:
- request confirmation that we are processing your personal data;
- request a copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- request that we update the personal data we hold about you or correct such information that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- restrict the way in which we use your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal data (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
- object to our processing of your personal data;
- withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal data (where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent);
- request that we delete the personal data we hold about you; and
- lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal data.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, please submit a request using the form here. Please note that we may require proof of your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
We will not discriminate against you if you decide to exercise your rights under applicable law.
Because we want to avoid taking action regarding your personal data at the direction of someone other than you, only you or an “Authorized Agent” permitted to act on your behalf may submit a request. An “Authorized Agent” means a natural person or a business entity you have authorized to act on your behalf by providing your written permission. Please note, we may deny a request from an Authorized Agent if they do not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal data or an Authorized Agent; and
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal data if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal data we maintain relates to you. To verify your identity, we will seek to match any personal data you provide when you (or an Authorized Agent) submit your request to any personal data we already maintain. If we are unable to verify your identity based on the information we maintain, we will let you know.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you have any questions or concerns about our collection or use of your personal data, you can contact our EU Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal data or any privacy query or request that you have raised to us, you have a right to complain to the appropriate National Data Protection Authority (“DPA”). To find the contact details of the DPA in your country of residence, please visit the EU Commission’s directory of DPAs.
Special Notice to California Residents
If you are a resident of the state of California, you are entitled to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal data to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Please note that we do not share your personal data with non-affiliated third parties for such purposes.
We will retain your personal data for those periods necessary to fulfill the various purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
We may make changes to this Privacy Statement from time to time. The “Effective Date” noted at the top of this page shows when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on this site.
If you have any comments or questions regarding this Privacy Statement please contact us at email@example.com. You may also send us a letter at the following addresses:
Attn: Legal Dept.
John Smith Drive
Oxford OX4 2WB
In Other Countries:
Attn: Legal Dept.
85 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004